Artichoke is a poor man’s dish, said Coluche in his “student” sketch, “it’s the only dish that when you finish eating, you have more on your plate than when you started! It is the “artichoke heads,” or flower heads taken before flowering, which are merely the base of the bracts (also known as leaves) and the container in which they Propagation Of Artichoke (the “bottom” are consumed “).
These two parts of the inflorescence are indeed fleshy and tender at the beginning of their development. The heads are therefore collected from May, before the central scales of the inflorescence begin to spread.
artichoke (Cynara Scolymus) is a large perennial that forms a beautiful clump of deeply cut grey-green leaves over time. If it wants, the plant takes up space and thus can reach over a meter in height. We place it in the vegetable garden but it can also appear in a beautiful place on a mountain range!
How To Propagate And When To Plant Artichokes?
Le artichoke seedlings is possible, but this large perennial is usually established by scion or eyes taken from a mother plant. These are shoots with between 4 and 6 leaves that start from the stump and emerge from the ground at the base of the plant. Here’s how:
- During the month of April, carefully clean the soil surrounding the artichoke so that the eyes can be carefully detached.
- dCut cleanly with a knife at the level of the attachment with the mother plant.
- Each eyepiece should have at its base a 3 to 4 cm log fragment bearing some small roots (this is the “heel”).
- Then we “dress” the eye, that is, we prepare it for transplanting by first leveling the cut base with a knife, then shortening the foliage by half and removing the damaged parts.
- Then repeat the eyes by two (so to compensate for the lack of recovery of one) in a small hole a meter away. They can also be replanted in a large pot of soil and potting soil before planting them in the vegetable garden around mid-May.
- Firm the soil well. They like it light, rich and well drained.
- Water down the throat to eliminate air pockets.
- In the weeks that follow, consider herbs to limit competition and watering regularly to keep the soil fresh. A mulch of grass clippings limits drying.
Click on the image to watch the video on when and how to take the eyes:
Also, Get Artichoke Buds In September
the editions can also be taken in September, when the plant has entered a period of vegetative rest with the heat of summer.
o the eyes, sensitive to the cold, like the whole plant, at this time they are rather transplanted into buckets or pots to protect them throughout the winter. They will be permanently established in the garden next spring, also benefiting from better rooting.